Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It’s Thanksgiving in Taiji

A week from today I arrive at The Cove to bear witness to the slaughter of dolphins by Japanese “fisherman”. I hate that my first trip to Japan bypasses some of the most holy land in the country. There are many ancient Buddhist and Shinto temples in this area. My train will skirt past these temples and take me to where some 2000 dolphins are slaughtered each year.

This Thanksgiving, I’m thankful for the cove guardians bearing witness and sharing the details of this horrible practice with the world. I’m especially thankful to Carrie, who, after witnessing the slaughter of the dolphins, dove into the cove. She was detained by police in front of her ten year old son and later released with a warning. This Thanksgiving, I’m thankful that I’m married to a wonderful woman that loves dolphins and whales more than I do and is supporting me on my journey.

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment